- East Asian Languages and Cultures Introduction
- East Asian Languages and Cultures Major
- Chinese Language and Culture Minor
- Japanese Language and Culture Minor
- Korean Language and Culture Minor
- CHIN - Chinese Language and Culture Courses
- EALC - East Asian Languages and Cultures Courses
- JPN - Japanese Language and Culture Courses
- KOR - Korean Language and Culture Courses
What does it mean to live life to its fullest capacity--personally, socially and ethically? What does it mean to succeed? To fail? To love? To fight? To dream? In search of answers to these questions, we read the classic foundational texts of China, Japan, and Korea from Confucian and Taoist philosophy to romantic tales, harrowing diaries and exquisitely crafted haiku. Bringing our knowledge as a China and a Japan specialist to bear, we formulate critical perspectives on key works with the goal of understanding East Asian culture as a whole and as different regional expressions. Join us as we explore the complexities of East Asian identity while discovering something about the big questions we all confront today wherever--and whomever--we are.
Max Enrollment: 25
Distribution Requirements: LL - Language and Literature
Typical Periods Offered: Spring
Semesters Offered this Academic Year: Spring
Notes: No prior background in the study of East Asia is required; all readings will be in English.