- East Asian Languages and Cultures Introduction
- East Asian Languages and Cultures Major
- Chinese Language and Culture Minor
- Japanese Language and Culture Minor
- Korean Language and Culture Minor
- CHIN - Chinese Language and Culture Courses
- EALC - East Asian Languages and Cultures Courses
- JPN - Japanese Language and Culture Courses
- KOR - Korean Language and Culture Courses
This seminar offers an intensive study of the writings of Eileen Chang, one of the most important Chinese writers. Close analysis of her literary style will be combined with discussions on such key concepts of the Chinese literary modernity: gender, nation, cosmopolitanism, affectivity, subjectivity, and diaspora. Her major works will be read in biographical, historical and cultural contexts, with considerations of the classical novels influencing her as well as the modern and postmodern writers and filmmakers working under her influences.
Max Enrollment: 15
Prerequisites: One course at the 200 or 300 level on Chinese literature, history or culture, or by permission of the instructor.
Instructor: M. Song
Distribution Requirements: LL - Language and Literature
Typical Periods Offered: Every other year
Semesters Offered this Academic Year: Fall